Monday, May 21, 2012

It's raining, now what? Part #1

As I announced my departure and eagerly packed my bags for Cancun, I anticipated long days in the sun with my iPod set to sexy Latin music, endless mojitos and my Midwestern complexion taking on a new shade of pink. Soon after this daydream, I checked the weather channel and to my horror I saw my entire vacation was forecasted to be 85 degrees and 60% rain! With hopes that the meteorologists were just a inaccurate as ours here, I pushed the forecast far from my mind. It quickly reared it's ugly head the minute the pilot announced the current conditions upon our decent into the gateway of Mexico; Cancun. So, for the next four days I was faced with "Plan B". Can you believe that I was able to thoroughly enjoy my trip, despite the lack of vitamin D? What did I do you ask? Well, I have put together a list of things you can comfortably do if the sun isn't shining her beautiful rays. Of course, there are plenty more things to do, but with only four days, this is a start.

1.  Shopping - Did you know Cancun rivals Las Vegas with their amount of shops and upscale boutiques? Whether you are searching for the newest Coach clutch or just want to roam the halls and window shop, there are plenty of shops to see. Another convenient option for shopping for souvenirs is duty free at the airport ( my personal favorite).

2.  Swim with the Dolphins - What a magical experience! To touch, kiss, hug, hold and be pulled or pushed through the pool with such gentle giants is truly a must do experience for everyone, regardless of your age. When I was being pulled around by two 600 pound dolphins I've never felt such exhilaration! My only regret is not choosing to be pushed up and out of the pool by these surprisingly strong animals during the foot push. I witnessed people say, "I'm scared, Eeekkk, OMG that was SO awesome!" all within 10 seconds of doing the "foot push".

3.  Snorkel- I talk about what to do in the rain and for some you may think its weird to do water sports in the rain. The rain in Cancun is very warm and light and my thoughts are, if you're wet already, what is the difference? Did you know some people say some of the best sightseeing in Cancun is under water? Did you know there is an underwater museum? Have you heard about the fresh water cenotes? These are just a few treasures you an see while snorkeling in and around Cancun.

4.  Connect with friends and family via wifi - In our resort, The RIU Palace Peninsula, the lobby offered free wifi 90 minutes per day. That is just enough time to get your electronic fix, update your status, upload photos and simply reconnect with those loved ones back home. I unfortunately didn't learn of the wifi until the last day so be sure to check with the front desk. After seeing how many copies of "50 Shades of Grey" were in women's beach bags and consistently sold out at the resort gift shop, I am willing to bet that many took advantage of the free wifi to down load the copy to their Kindle! It was all the rage and and a very fun conversation starter wherever we went. "What page are you on? Have you gotten to Chapter 10 yet?"

5.  Spa- The resorts have the most incredible spas, don't they? I love how you can walk from your hotel room down to the spa, enjoy your treatment and blissfully walk back to the room, the balcony, the bar, wherever. The bummer of a spa back home is the driving afterwards; it just seems to undo all of the relaxing a spa treatment can provide.


No comments:

Post a Comment