Monday, December 12, 2016

Mount Cinnamon, Grenada

After traveling four flights and almost 15 hours later, I arrived a quick ride from the airport at what would be my home base for one night at Mount Cinnamon.  After the journey I had taken to arrive there, I lovingly nick named it Mount Zion instead!  Arriving in the dark made it impossible to imagine what I was about to witness once the sun rose, but trust me, it was awe-mazing!  

The sweeping 180 degree ocean views from the balcony of my villa were impressive but to watch nature “do her thing” was even more incredible.  As I was sipping my morning cup of Joe that I made in my colorful kitchen, I was enamored by the fact the rain would come down on the terracotta roofs yet only on one or two sides.  Unlike the cold grey damp downpours of Minnesota that soak you and chill you to the bone, the showers here were quite literally like sunshine and rainbows gently poured from the sky.  It’s obvious why the fauna is so dense and lush on this Caribbean island of Grenada when Mother Nature feeds the land with sporadic showers and lots of sunshine.  And just as fast as it started, it seemed to stop and then the sunshine came back out in its full glory.  I stayed out there for most of the morning, snapping photos, taking videos and sending them to my friends back home.  As jealousy and snarky comments filled my stream and screen, I digressed.  Quickly I felt the humidity rise as well as the temperature.  I wondered if my pasty white skin could handle the rays and if my body could handle the heat.  I was up for the challenge!

And challenge indeed it was!  I took a tour to see the rooms and amenities offered at Mount Cinnamon and although it’s a small boutique-like property, we climbed hills like goats and saved our conversations for inside the villas instead of during our cardio climbs.  This isn’t the best resort for the physically challenged, however, they do have golf carts that will take you to your room if you’d like.  We opted for the exercise.  If you are looking for a small studio style accommodations or plan to bring the entire family where you’ll need multi bedroom accommodations, there is a spot here that is perfect for you.  What I loved the most about these villas was the authentic caribbean style that was uniquely infused in each separate room.  My shower was lime green and decorated with the likes of frogs and lizards while others were pink and had more of a sea shell theme.  My favorite was the bright refrigerators that commanded your attention.  From cobalt blue, sunshine yellow to my favorite, retro orange, each room was unique with it’s own color scheme.  

Speaking of refrigerators, with most all rooms having a kitchen, dining in for at least a few meals a day is doable, but for those of you who hate to cook, especially on vaca, (that’s me!) there are a few restaurants on property.  My favorite room on the property wasn’t actually a room, but more of a residence, appropriately named Cinnamon Heights, as it is at the very tippy top of the property.  It comes with a state of the art kitchen that would make Martha Stewart jealous,

tons of space to entertain inside and out, an infinity pool that overlooks the ocean, outdoor showers and multiple bedrooms.  At 6,000 square feet of privacy, this would make a magical escape for a family reunion, small wedding party or even a girls getaway.  


I missed breakfast because I was enamored with the beauty from my balcony so I made sure to grab lunch before I had to check out.  I went down to the beachfront restaurant called Savvy, set directly on the best beach in Grenada, Grand Anse Beach.
 It’s here that I met a sweet waitress named Twainel.  I chose a table inside and out of the sun.  She knew there was a better seat in the house and encouraged me to come outside, under the umbrella where I could put my toes in the sand and get a better view of the sea.  She was eager to tell me all about the menu and to be honest, I was eager to try a classic rum punch with real shaved nutmeg in it!  She brought me my drink in a pretty tall hourglass shaped glass complete with a cute little umbrella.  Nutmeg infused my drink and also decorated the top.  It almost looked like sand next to the umbrella.  I was disappointed that I didn’t like the drink, mostly because I didn’t want to offend her, afterall, nutmeg is their claim to fame in the island of Grenada.  I politely (and very slowly) drank it while we chatted more about the local lifestyle, things to see and do, safety, politics and what you won’t find in Grenada due to the religious laws.  


Grenadians are some of the nicest people I’ve met on my journeys.  It’s also one of the safest islands in all of the West Indies.  I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, if Paradise was easy to get to, everyone would go.  Because of this, if you are looking for an unspoiled, true exotic island escape, consider Grenada and Mount Cinnamon for your next Divine Destination!  

No comments:

Post a Comment